DUI Statistics in Texas
Driving a car is a necessary part of modern life, but when people drink or get high before driving, it becomes a serious crime. This crime takes the lives of thousands of people in our communities each year and can result in hefty fines and serious time in jail. Consider some statistics related to drunk driving in Texas to learn more about the communities it affects.
The Most Disturbing Statistic
One stat that clearly illustrates the problem with drunk driving and how it impacts the citizens of Texas is as follows: A person is injured or killed in a drunk driving accident every 20 minutes in Texas.
This shows that DUIs are much more than a niche problem, and really are a major threat to the communities of Texas. With the potential to take innocent lives, drunk driving is a major crime throughout the country, just as it is in our own state of Texas.
Which Cities Are the Most Impacted?
When it comes to the cities with the most DUI-related fatalities, it’s no surprise to see some of the most populated and well-known cities in Texas on the list. The cities with the most DUI-related fatalities in 2017 were:
- Houston – 72 DUI-related fatalities
- Dallas – 70 DUI-related fatalities
- San Antonio – 49 DUI-related fatalities
- Austin – 22 DUI-related fatalities
- Fort Worth – 19 DUI-related fatalities
DUI Crashes in Texas in 2017
Most of the time, DUIs end in crashes or arrests. Peruse these statistics that show the frequency and consequences of DUI crashes in Texas:
- 3,530 Possible Injury DUI Crashes resulted in 5,841 injuries
- 1,594 Suspected Serious DUI Crashes resulted in 5,841 injuries
- 910 Fatal DUI Crashes resulted in 1,024 DUI fatalities
Impaired Driving Statistics
- Although 95% of those surveyed acknowledge drunk driving as extremely dangerous, almost 11% have done it in the past 30 days.
- About 33.1% of DUI-related fatalities happen to people 21 and younger.
- About 69.2% of alcohol-related driving fatalities involved a BAC of at least .15.
- In 2016, 38.1% of all fatal crashes involved alcohol.
Be Part of the Solution to Texas’s DUI Problem
It’s easy to see that the combination of alcohol and driving wrecks peoples’ lives and Texas is no exception. By simply calling an Uber or taxi, you can save yourself from harsh fines and jail time.
If you’ve been arrested for a DUI or DWI in Texas, hire the attorney who has over 25 years of experience arguing in the courts of Dallas. Contact Phillip Linder today for a free consultation.